National Food Safety Education Month
According to the USDA, “September is National Food Safety Education Month, a great time to explore ways to promote safe food handling and prevent food borne illnesses.” One of the key ways to ensure food safety is proper hand hygiene.
Proper hand hygiene in any restaurant, deli, supermarket, food handling or processing facility is vital to healthy food. Reduce the risk of illness, and save costs while building reputation for safety, quality, and cleanliness with the Performance Plus Hand Hygiene Program.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PERFORMANCE PLUS HAND HYGIENE PROGRAM
Learn more about Performance Plus
The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends these 5 Key Strategies to keeping food safe :
- Keep Clean: Wash your hands before handling food and often during food preparation. Wash and sanitize all surfaces and equipment used for food preparation, and protect kitchen areas and food from insect, pests and other animals.
- Separate raw and cooked: Separate raw meat, poultry and seafood from other foods. Use separate equipment and utensils such as knives and cutting boards for handling raw foods, and store food in containers to avoid contact between raw and prepared foods.
- Cook thoroughly: Cook food thoroughly, especially meat, poultry, eggs and seafood. Bring foods like soups and stews to boiling to make sure they have reached 70 degrees celsius, and reheat cooked food thoroughly.
- Keep food at safe temperatures: Do not leave food at room temperature for more than 2 hours. Refrigerate all cooked and perishable food. Keep cooked food piping hot prior to serving, and do not thaw frozen food at room temperature.
- Use safe water and raw materials: Use safe water or treat it to make it safe. Select fresh and wholesome foods, and goods processed for safety, such as pasteurized milk. Make sure to wash fruits and vegetables, and do not use food beyond its expiration date.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE 5 KEYS TO SAFER FOOD
Not all items are available in all locations. Contact your RJ Schinner Sales Representative for more information.